Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fredericksburg to Carter Caves

Today's drive was mostly uneventful. No big mechanical problems, although we did have some vapor lock issues. We did drive all day on the interstate, and once we had the sun in our face beating down on the hood,  on the uphills (read: mountains) we'd feel the car feeling like it was running out of fuel. I switched on the auxiliary fuel pump and that solved the problem 100%.

When I replaced the head gaskets recently and had everything apart, I removed all the thermal wrapping that I had around the fuel pipes in the vee of the motor. I probably should have put new wrapping on and I likely would have had no issues at all today.

We stopped much earlier than we normally do on these trips -- about 6:15pm. We are staying at a state park in Kentucky -- Carter Caves State Park. They had rooms at the lodge that aren't too expensive, they had all-you-can-eat catfish for $10 at the restaurant, there was a campfire program in the campground, and tomorrow morning we'll be doing a flashlight cave tour. A nice diversion on the way to Louisville for this year's annual meet.

Once we get to Louisville, I do have a small list of maintenance items I'd like to address if we have time. First, we have a funky situation in the master switchbox which is causing one of the ignitions to stop working. I have kludged a fix by jumpering the two ignitions together in the fusebox, but this needs to be fixed properly. When I did the head gasket job, apparently I failed to install three conical washers where the passenger side exhaust manifold mates up with the downpipe, therefore there is a small exhaust leak at that junction. If I can source the three washers at the meet that will be an easy fix. I think that's about it....at least for now!

Looking forward to seeing everyone and all the cars tomorrow, but we're also really looking forward to the flashlight cave tour tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun day.... Dad is on his way for the $10.00 all-you-can-eat catfish and says he knows Kyle is HAPPY! Have fun on your cave tour.

    ReplyDelete