Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Good and Bad

We've had a good time at the meet so far, meeting several new folks and some old friends. We've done three breakfast runs in a row, and on each one the limo was full with six people, so hopefully some who haven't taken a ride in a P-III will now remember their first ride (like I have in Mermie's car), and maybe someone will catch a bug....who knows?

Today, I smiled as I looked around the parking lot and saw everyone polishing all parts of their cars (exterior, interior, wheels, engine compartment, etc.). While they did all that today preparing for tomorrow's judging, I walked to my car and then took the family on a drive around Lake Tahoe. I'll have the dirty car on the judging field tomorrow, although I'm not being judged anyway.

My normal daily ritual when driving the car is to check that both fuel pumps are operating properly, and that both ignitions are operating properly. One of the ignitions (A) failed the test today and was dead. I used my last spare electronic ignition module and replaced it this evening (about a 25-30 minute job). Now the car is fixed and running perfectly, but I have no spare except the old points setup that I could re-install in a pinch. Tim Jayne is flying home tomorrow morning and can ship me extra ignition modules if I know where to tell him where to send them, but I don't have a route charted out yet. I'll have to figure that out, because I don't like being without a spare!

The boys are both apprentice judges tomorrow -- Kyle with the Spurs (et al), and Carter with the Wraith/Dawn class. Both want to be "real" judges, but they will be apprentices and helping in that fashion. I hope they both enjoy and appreciate the experience.

We'll be pushing off towards home on Friday morning. We had too much in the car on the way out, and we've acquired even more, so I hope to get to a UPS store and ship a bunch of stuff home to free up as much space as possible in the car. Our tentative plan is to go across Nevada on Route 50 (The Lonliest Highway in America), and I've heard they have a "passport" that you can get stamped at each of the towns along the way. We'll have to look up info on that....

No comments:

Post a Comment