Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reactions

A random post here to respond to a request made earlier -- what are people's reactions to the car.

I have yet to meet anyone unfriendly -- this is different than when we drive the Ferrari and some folks make snide comments. Instead, with this big thing people don't know what it is and ask questions. Most are shocked that we're doing a cross country drive and want to know if we've had any mechanical issues (and those who have been following this blog know we have!). The most common question is "How much is it worth?" I don't like that question because I don't know the answer, I don't care, and that's not why we're driving it. It is a rolling piece of history and just a blast to take across the country. We are very fortunate to be able to do this, although I don't think it will be a common thing for me to drive this cross country -- this takes a lot of time, energy, emotion, and of course $$.

Some of my favorite reactions/questions so far:

In McComb, Mississippi, a fellow with his pants falling down (a different one than previously posted in Zion) asked how much it was worth.
Me: "I'm not sure. The economy is bad right now, so most people don't want something like this."
Him: "Would you take $30k for it?"
Me: "No. Besides, it's not for sale."
Him: "If I gave you $100k for it you wouldn't take it?"
Me: "No, it's not for sale."
Him: "You mean if I offered you $1M, you wouldn't take it?"
Me: "If you give me $1M for it, you can have it and I'll go home and buy a few more!"

In Brockway, California (along Lake Tahoe), a surfer type dude was looking it all over, and after doing a full 360 around the car commenting about how cool it was, he asked "Is it a Model T?"

Just east of Grand Canyon National Park, we had to stop at a Navajo trading post for an hour to let the car cool down due to vapor lock. One of the Native American ladies working at a stand commented, "Is that your black truck? It's cute!"

Today at the Bryce Canyon NP visitor center, a lady asked "Is that a Phantom-III? My father has one."

Right now I'm sitting outside the motel room at the Circle D Motel in Escalante, Utah listening to crickets. It should be a dark sky but there are some clouds overhead, and way off in the distance I can see some lightning bolts going horizontally along the horizon -- way too far away to even hear the thunder, but this is pretty cool....

3 comments:

  1. When we were driving across the country in a Bentley, folks would see the "B" and ask: Is it a Buick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matt, I had the pleasure of meeting you and your sons during your stop at Capitol Reef National Park. What a great car but even more so a great dad who takes his sons on such a memorable adventure. Enjoy the rest of your trip and please keep me informed of your future travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post, Matt. When I've driven my '60 Chevy Bel Air cross country, I've gotten a range of reactions, mostly of the "Nice car!" variety. I have also had the "how much?" question - I like your answer. Best of luck getting back home. My family may duplicate your road trip next summer, although I'll be hard pressed to convince my family to drive one of the antiques.

    ReplyDelete