Monday, August 8, 2011

The Mojave Desert is spectacular...

...at night!

It is after 1am and we're in Bakersfield at the cheaper of the two Econolodges (of course), so I need to get to sleep and can't give tonight's drive justice.

We left Fenner, California after we'd spent a full 5.5 hours at the gas station/oasis waiting until it was cool enough to drive away. We finally left at 8pm with a 4 hour plus drive ahead of us, and even then it was a stretch (one hour into the drive in Ludlow it was still 97 degrees at 9pm). But without the sun beating down, the car never had a problem and in fact I never had to turn on my auxiliary fuel pump.

As much as I loved the landscape of the desert in the daylight (no, I'm not kidding), it was spectacular at night. After we got off I-40 and onto CA 58, it got even better, culminating in some windy long upgrades followed by windy long 6% downgrades. Yeah, they were just suggesting 55mph, 70 felt much better. :-) The dark skies here are much better than home, and the culmination was the shooting star that I saw fizzle out and poof away -- absolutely awesome.

Tomorrow we'll drive the last 111 miles to Sequoia National Park whenever we wake up, and we finally can rest there with the three nights we have reserved. I don't know if there is any cell coverage in the park, and then the next night we'll be staying in the valley of Yosemite National Park where I don't know if there's coverage.....so it might be a while before the blog is updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment