Friday, August 19, 2011

Here we go again....

As a reminder, as we travel you can track our progress here:


It has been a fun time at the RROC annual meet topped off with a fun concours including some really interesting cars.

Last night I spent some time replacing another ignition module which failed, so I probably should have another spare (or two) sent to me somewhere along my route "just in case." I can't figure out why this ignition module failed, though...

As the awards banquet ended this evening, we were invited to participate in the drivethrough for the awards ceremony. We did not receive an official award, but were formally recognized by the chief judge for the accomplishment of our trip out here -- 3,898 miles in a pre-war Rolls-Royce. I have a couple hundred more miles under our belt during the meet. Thanks to Mermie for her part in getting this recognition. My only hope is that as people hear about our trip either through this blog, through the recognition at the meet, or otherwise, that they'll be inspired to do their own cross country trip. Of course I'd love to hear about someone doing a cross country trip in a vintage car, even if it is in a modern "normal" car (as compared to my abnormal car....) I would love to hear about it. This country is expansive with a lot to see -- go see it!

Tomorrow our tentative plan is to leave in the morning for Nevada and take "The Lonliest Highway in America" (route 50 across Nevada). I've been told you can get a passport and get it stamped at the few localities along the way on Route 50 in Nevada, so of course we'll give that a shot!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a nice time at the RROC Meet, in spite of the $75.00 breakfasts. I am happy to follow you on your return.

    Cheers,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same for me. With our 53 R-Type we ocassionally were asked what year Buick. One fellow in a gas station in Valdosta back in 1973 told me his father has a Buick like this. After a moment he remarked "Why does the car have the steering wheel on the wrong side". Being in silly mode, I told him it was a special order for Rural mail delivery. He smiled and said "I knew that".

    Drive safely. PS. There is a club member living in Leadville, CO if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete